Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Life is Amazing

Life is amazing. I just found out that after a year of not being able to use my blogs, on the same day I got back into them--November 27, 2017--a longtime student and friend died.
Kay Chelemedos was one of my longest running group members. First through North Seattle's Senior program at the Northgate location, then at Greenwood Senior Center for many, many years. She and her husband Peter Chelemedos have been more than my longest term couple members, more than delightful friends. I felt they were like semi-parents. Whenever they traveled, and it was often, they sent me postcards. I have one of the farthest northern spot in Europe that is inhabited, among others.
In another shocking coincidence, Kay had stimulated the initial gathering of pieces about friendship when she thanked me in class for allowing our group to be a friendship group as well as a writing group. I began gathering those stories in the 1990s but only completed and published the book a few days before Kay's death. I hope she heard it had finally been done. I had no idea, at that time, that she was close to passing. Yes, I'm not that surprised. Not surprised that I had some internal connection with Kay and Peter as they went through this hard transition. Not surprised that this connection brought me only something good. Fancifully, I can imagine Kay with her angel wings, smiling in approval at the book...which bears her photo and her words. Sigh!
Ariele M. Huff
This is a photo of Kay (in the black hat speaking to Martha Lindquist--also a long time member of groups with me).

No comments:

Post a Comment